Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Lack of Posting

Well, I haven't been posting so far this semester, and seeing how all these posts are due tomorrow, today is the day to put them up.
I have been keeping a journal, and class notes, but since I have to rely on MSU's computer labs for an internet connection, keeping an e-journal apart from my own network at home is rather problematic.
I fully realize that chances are the only person who will bother to read this blog this late in the game is Prof. Michael Sexson. I'm actually glad if thats the case. I burnt out on fantasy and mythology in middle school, which was around alomst a decade and a half ago. In all honesty I don't feel like I have anything to add that would be benificial to our discussions.
The primary reason, of course, is Science Fiction.
Every story we discuss, every idea that comes out of the classroom I simply have to think for a moment and I know a science fiction story that better illustrates the situation.
I have to admit, there is a lot of science fiction that is truly bad. Pointless stories, space action with no philosopy, stories of alien menaces from afar that have no true relevence to society or the individual.
But there is so much that is good. So much that is relivant today. What story in mythology explains the oil problems of today? Tell me what metaphor explains what hydrolic despotism means?
I haven't read every story. Maybe there is a myth that can directly relate to oil. But I have my doubts.
If you want a science fiction story about the oil problems of the 20th and 21st century, look no further than Dune. Spice is an allegory for oil. It's found in the deserts, it's controlled by outside factions, its absolutely critical for the functioning of an empire.
Dune scares me, becasue ever since I read it in high school it becomes more, and more, and even more relevent.

No comments: